Succeeding in a Japanese Company: 8. Relationship Building
A one hour conversation between Andy Bender and Rochelle Kopp on relationship building with Japanese in person and from afar (audio file)
Relationship-building is critical when working with Japanese counterparts, whether they are people within your own company, or at customers or suppliers. In this session, Andy will discuss the most efficient and effective way to build relationships with Japanese people, both when you're in person and when you're at a distance. What Japanese people most value in relationships, how to handle social occasions, gift-giving, and holiday cards and other correspondence will be covered.
During Andy's call you will discover...
- Why business relationships are absolutely crucial in Japanese business
- The qualities Japanese people value most in relationships
- Key things to know about building relationships with Japanese counterparts in person
- How to properly socialise with Japanese people and avoid common missteps
- How to foster excellent long distance relationships with Japanese colleagues at the head office
- Appropriate ways to handle correspondence and holiday cards with Japanese contacts
- What you need to know about gift-giving in building relationships with Japanese people
Andrew Bender began his career in Tokyo at JAFCO, Japan's largest venture capital company. Later he worked in development, production, and acquisitions of filmed entertainment for Fujisankei Communications in Los Angeles. He also headed up U.S. operations for a Japanese-owned animation and computer graphics house. Andy offers insightful perspectives on how non-Japanese employees and managers at all levels can address the "people" side of business with the Japanese. Since joining Japan Intercultural Consulting in 2001, Andrew has counselled clients in industries as diverse as manufacturing, management consulting, and entertainment.